Color treated hair is prone to dry scalp because the chemicals used to treat hair can also irritate the scalp. A dry scalp condition can be further aggravated by changes in the weather, styling, stress and lifestyle. It is often accompanied by flaking, redness and itchiness which can be really embarrassing and annoying.
There are a number of things that you can do to address dry scalp. A dry scalp treatment
doesn’t have to be an expensive salon treatment. Here are some things you can do at home to ease the symptoms of dry scalp.
- Use a moisturizing shampoo formulated for color treated or dry and damaged hair. These shampoo are gentler on the scalp and will help to replenish lost moisture back to your hair and scalp.
- When shampooing your hair, make sure to rinse thoroughly. Shampoo residue will make dry scalp scale more.
- Shampoo every other day or less frequently.
- Do not use very hot water when washing your hear. Heat can aggravate dry scalp condition. Instead, use warm water.
- Avoid subjecting your scalp to extreme heat from frequent blow drying. Allow your hair to dry naturally. If you can’t avoid blow drying, blow dry when your hair is almost dry to limit the time your head is exposed to high heat.
- Do not apply moisturizer on your scalp. Leave in on your hair and be sure to rinse it thoroughly
- Massage your scalp. A scalp massage increases blood flow to your scalp and helps clear blocked pores. When pores are open, more oil reaches the surface of your scalp, which protects and moisturizes it.
- Avoid too much sun exposure.
- Learn to cope with stress better. Stress can make dry scalp symptoms worse.
- Apply hot oil treatment to infuse your scalp with much needed moisture.
A hot oil treatment is an example of a basic dry scalp treatment offered in a salon that you can also easily do at home. Here are steps on how to apply hot oil treatment on your hair.
You will need:
- olive oil
- a ceramic or heat resistant cup
- a basin half filled with hot water
- a towel
- a soft bristle brush
- a comb
Prepare 4 tbsps of olive oil and put it inside a heat resistant cup. Warm up the olive oil by letting it sit in a basic of hot water for about 15 minutes. When the oil is warm enough remove it from the basin.
Sit yourself in front of a mirror. Put a towel over your shoulders to protect your clothes from oil. Using a comb part your hair and start applying olive oil onto your scalp using a soft brittle brush. After applying olive oil, massage it in with your fingers. Part your hair into sections and repeat until you’ve applied olive oil on all of your scalp.
Wrap your hair in a towel. Let the olive oil treatment sit on your hair for 2 to 3 hours. Then wash your hair with mild shampoo and dry thoroughly.
This dry scalp treatment is best done once a month.